Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

2012: a year in review



In looking forward to the year ahead, it's so important to look at the year in review. When we used to do these sorts of things at school, I thought it was super dorky and was sometimes struggling to think of "good things" that had happened, other than the usual "I did well in my maths exam" (only kidding, I would never have said that!)

However, now we're out in the big wide world, it's a little easier to think of things. If you want something as an adult, you really have to work for it. It's no longer given to you on a silver platter, so it's simultaneously more exciting when you do achieve something on your own.




It's so easy to get caught up in what everyone else is doing and forget about the good things that happen to you. With that in mind, I love this idea that has been doing the rounds on the Internet:


"Start 2013 off with an empty jar and fill it with notes about good things that happen. On New Years Eve, empty it and see what awesome stuff happened that year."

While I don't have a jar like this handy at the moment, I'll jot down just some of the things that made 2012 a great year.

2012...


  • Field Day 2012 - I was determined to start off the year IMMEDIATELY doing something that was fun and memorable, so spending New Years Day 2012 at a music festival in the beautiful sunshine was pretty great. And the tickets were freebies too.
With my friend Frances at Field Day!
  • Yahoo!7 - I started interning at Yahoo!7 at the end of 2011, and it ended up turning into employment. I finished there at the beginning of June this year because I needed to get other sorts of work experience, but I am so grateful for the time I spent there. I got to go to some super cool events (e.g. the David Jones Autumn/Winter fashion show, restaurant openings, the list went on!) and was lucky to gain experience in such a large company.
I ate food like this fancy schmancy chocolate mousse.
  • TV work experience - I wanted to broaden my horizons into broadcast journalism, and managed to get a couple of work experience placements just recently at a couple of television stations, including one in regional Orange. They were very practical, despite only being a week-long each, and they definitely ensured 2012 ended on a high.
I watched the reporter do her story "in the field" quite literally - this was on a wheat farm in Manildra.
  • University - this year was my second year doing undergraduate journalism. The subjects were definitely harder and I really found my first semester this year a challenge (I will admit to having a few mental breakdowns). Looking back though, I managed to improve my marks and am a much more confident interviewer than I was this time last year. I've still got a long way to go, but I think it's a positive sign if I can continue on this track!

  • EUROPE - ahh, probably my favourite part of 2012! I spent three weeks in Europe in June, and my goodness was it marvellous. You can see my previous blogposts for more details, but I don't think the trip could have been any more perfect. I am a very lucky girl!
One of the many places we visited: Capri, Italy.
  • Employment - just after I got back from Europe, I also got employed part-time as a sports coach (netball and tennis) at a girls' school that's not far from where I live. It fits in perfectly with uni and my other commitments, and I'm working with a really lovely group of teachers, as well as very eager and enthusiastic girls. 

  • Friends - I definitely managed to hang out more this year with some of my besties as well as meeting some new friends. Such activities included going to the beach, having picnics, going to a vintage show, ice-skating on a temporary rink outside our university (it compensates for the whole "no grassed areas" thing we're bagged out for), and an insanely entertaining Christmas pub crawl.
A Fish&Chips picnic on the pier in Balmoral.
  • Concerts - I've never been big on the music scene, but went to a few different concerts this year. I saw the fantastic Castlecomer not once, not twice, but three times (the third time wasn't intentional, but nevertheless, a very exciting surprise). I also saw Lana Del Rey at the Enmore Theatre in July, and also saw my beautiful friend Kathy perform in a local musical society's version of Dusty (as in, Dusty Springfield), which was really REALLY fantastic. 
Ticket to see Lana.

  • Birthday - this year I turned 20! Quite a few of my friends were freaking out about this - we're no longer in our teens - but I think it marks the start of some of the best years we'll have. 

With all that in mind, here are some simple plans for the year ahead.

2013...

  1. Try to amp up the exercise - I'm hoping to join a tennis club and play some social comps, as well as fitting in pilates/yoga once or twice a week. My countless attempts to go to a gym just don't seem to ever stick...
  2. Save up for some more travel during 2013 - I'm still trying to decide whether I'll do a big overseas trip in their summer or winter - seeing a white Christmas for once sure would be nice :)
  3. Help out more around home - ideally cooking a meal at least once a week. This would be a big thing for me - I currently cannot cook more than an egg.
  4. Do some regular volunteer work - I'm not sure what exactly yet, but let me know if you have any suggestions!
  5. Keep working on towards becoming a more confident interviewer and writer. I think this also involves spending less time on Pinterest and more time reading!
  6. Try to gain as many industry work placements as I can.
  7. Figure out whether I'll be finishing up at uni next year or delving back into some sort of postgraduate degree in 2014.
  8. Enjoy all the social activities the final year of undergraduate uni and the year of 21sts brings with it!
  9. Anddddd basically just do as much as I can, stay busy and go to events/activities I may not have considered before. Always good to try something new ;)
What are you most proud of achieving this year? Have you got any big dreams for 2013?

No comments: